The HCG diet is a revolutionary diet that helps people lose weight in a natural way. It works by introducing HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin hormone) into the body. HCG is produced in expectant women to help the body to use up fat reserves for the growing fetus. Other people can also take advantage of this hormone. The human body usually has fat stored around the hips, abdomen, buttocks and thighs. This fat is rarely used and is classified as abnormal fat. When HCG is taken, the body’s metabolism is reset and it begins burning these reserves of fat leading to subsequent weight loss. HCG is available in the form of HCG injections and homeopathic drops. The injections are quite expensive putting them out of many people’s reach. However, the HCG drops are affordable, convenient and have a longer shelf life.
The HCG diet involves three steps. The person going on the diet has to first build up enough fat for 2 days by eating as much food as they can get, especially high fat food, along with taking HCG drops. Then for the next 21-43 days the person has to stick to a diet of 500 calories per day. This HCG diet phase 2 is known as the very low calorie portion of the diet. No starches or sugars are allowed. The diet consists of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables as well as 2 meals rich in protein. The HCG drops have to be taken in the recommended daily dosage. These instructions have to be adhered to strictly to achieve the desired results. Most people record weight loss of 1 – 2 pounds daily at this stage. The last step in the program involves maintaining the new lifestyle.
Several people on the diet report that their food cravings vanish and they are able to remain full on 500 calories daily. However, some might experience hunger pangs beyond the first week on the program. Since it is vital to stick to the diet, the hunger must be controlled.
Tips on avoiding hunger on the HCG diet:
- Take the protein as part of breakfast and lunch. Protein usually takes longer to be digested. The HCG diet allows two meals with protein and taking them in the morning and at lunch means you will not get too hungry in between the meals.
- Eat all the HCG meals according to plan and spread out the food. While the diet is quite strict, you have the option of spreading out the food over the course of the day. This will mean your stomach will always have food in it and you will not get too hungry.
- Try and not eat anything 15 minutes before and after taking the HCG drops.
- Try adding spices to your food. Some spices, especially the hot ones like pepper, make you feel full and satisfied.
- Avoid too much strenuous activity and exercise while on the diet. Since heavy activities require the body to burn more calories, you will feel hungrier if you engage in them.
- Drink a lot of water. Water fills the stomach and makes you feel satisfied. Keep busy and distract yourself. Most people eat when they are bored. Find something else to occupy your time and mind.
- Double the dosage of the homeopathic HCG drops. The normal dosage is 10 drops 3 times a day but you can increase that to 20 drops 3 times a day and although it won’t help you lose weight nay faster it can help fight hunger.
Although the going might be hard at first, sticking to the HCG diet pays off in the end.